I have been looking for a black bean and quinoa burger recipe. I finally got one in a vegetarian meal plan that I was thinking about following. What’s great is that I always have these ingredients on hand. I know what I’m making this weekend. I cannot wait to try them!
BLACK BEAN QUINOA BURGERS
Makes 8 servings
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped (1⁄4 cup)
- 11⁄2 cups cooked black beans, or 1 (15-oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp)
- 2 tsp dried steak seasoning
- 8 whole-grain hamburger bunsStir together quinoa and 11⁄2 cups water in small saucepan and season with salt (if desired). Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. (You should have 11⁄2 cups cooked quinoa.) Meanwhile, place onions and sun-dried tomatoes in medium nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat. (The oil left on tomatoes should be enough to saute onions.) Cook three to four minutes, or until onions have softened. Stir in 3⁄4 cup black beans, garlic, steak seasoning and 11⁄2 cups water. Simmer nine to 11 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated. Transfer bean-onion mixture to food processor, add 3⁄4 cup cooked quinoa and process until smooth. Transfer to bowl, and stir in remaining 3⁄4 cup quinoa and remaining 3⁄4 cup black beans. Season with salt and pepper (if desired), and cool. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and generously coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Shape bean mixture into eight patties (1⁄2 cup each) and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, or until patties are crisp on top. Flip patties with spatula and bake 10 minutes more, or until both sides are crisp and brown. Serve on buns.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): calories 215, total fat 3 g, saturated fat 0.5 g, protein 9 g, carbs 40 g, fiber 6 g, sodium 438 mg, sugar 5 g